Warbirds Resource Group

Pica FW190D-9 Conversion to TA152H
Article by Delbert Leisure Jr

Part four - The final Product ...
Please mail any questions, suggestions or comments to Delbert Leisure, Jr., Director.

 Decals in place, Add 82 [light green] to nose and cowl, 81 [dark brown] center section, and 82 on the tail section. Yellow one added just ahead of the Cross and Mottling done in 2 rows of 82, and a light row of 81. Mottling was done with a Cotton Ball dipped in the paint and dabbed on the Fuse. Exhaust added and painted brown 81. Horizontal stab painted. 
Servos in place, Flap servo's set upright with only the wheels sticking out of the wing, and the Ailerons lay on their side where only the control Rod protrudes from the wing. Add the Flaps. The Flaps are 3/32 Plywood, Sheer Curtain Material, and 3/32 Plywood. The Curtain Material serves as the Hinge, and is glued to the trailing edge and ribs then plated over by the Bottom Skin. Skin the bottom of the wing Add the Fuse Fairing at the front of the wings. Leave a small Gap between the wing skin and the Flaps, check flaps for movement up and down.
Sheet the center section of the wing.
Keep the joints tight. Add a 3/32 Plywood where the wing bolts mounts and drill the holes for the wing bolts. The Flap Servo's are flush with the skin. Fiberglass the center section of the Wings with a wide light Glass. I used Curtain Material and PVC Glue to glass the center section. 
This plane does fly rather fast and it does put a load on the wings center section. Add the Ailerons, and finish sheeting the bottom of the wings. Sheet the Tips also if Foam was used.
Pin the hinges on the ailerons using toothpicks.  I used 3 in each side of the hinge. With the flaps down put curtain material with PVC glue on the Top skin above the flaps. This will support the Top skin when the flaps are down. Paint the bottom of the wing a blue gray color RLM 76. I lay the paper [Silk Span] on the wood and paint it on using a paper towel. Paper the wings and Flaps but not the Ailerons. Ailerons will be Cloth covered using a iron on covering. Add the lower white Crosses at the flap/aileron junction.
Time to fix the Cowl. The Cowl in the kit is wonderful but it does have a few minor problems.
The amount of exit air is not enough. The engine does heat up the cowl and it melts down. Cutting the cowl flaps and bending them out looks tacky, and the screw holes crack and break from vibration. I took stiff plastic from a servo package [.020] and PVC glued them at each cowl flap slit, and mounting holes. Then I used curtain material and PVC glued it to the cowl. I cut out the Carb, needle valves, Engine head and muffler holes.
Where the muffler?
Engine, cowl, spinner, and prop mounted.
We need to mottle the cowl.
The Prop is the flying prop. The spinner is dark green [RLM70] with a yellow [RLM04] spiral that rotates away from the spinner as the prop turns.
Engine head is flush with the opening.
The muffler is the stock muffler which hangs down under the cowl. I made a brass extension which allows the muffler to exit the bottom of the plane which is semi hid from view.
Elevators hinged, mounted, painted.
supercharger added [oval type]. Push rods added, controls checked, wing fairing finished. Plane balanced and she is ready for action.

TA-152H  in 1/7 Scale
Span: 82 3/4 in
Length: 60
Weight: 8 1/4 Lbs
Powered: ASP 61 ABC w/12-6 Prop
Color: 81/82/76


Asst. Editor/Modelling Resource Center: Delbert Leisure, Jr.